dork battery disconnect

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: dork battery disconnect
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:03:07 EDT
I had the same question and wrote to "Practical Classic" magazine in England.
They published my question with answer a few months ago.I have had that Green
Knob gaget for a few years now and because it only would fit on the Neg
terminal, that is where I put it. The way I figured it was ,in a DC circuit,
as long as you broke the line anywhere , it would effectively shut down the
system. This is true , and for a long time I have used this quick disconnect
anytime I have been fooling around with the wiring. What the magazine said
was that if you put the fitting on the "hot" terminal-----------remember we
are talking about a positive ground car-----------------, it would not be as
safe as it could be. Touching the battery terminal and any other metal part
of the car would give you a shower of sparks, even if the switch were turned
off. OK, I thought to myself, that is true enough, so I got out a file and
ground/filed the green thingy out to fit the POS post. Now ,at least, if the
green knob is in the off position, no such shower of sparks is going to
happen.    My 2 cents worth,--Bob C