Re: Re: Can't Win For Losing...Kinda Long

To: "Mike MacLean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Can't Win For Losing...Kinda Long
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:45:49 -0400
It's often not the engineer who has the final say, it could be
more likely the bean-counter, eccentric-owner,
entrenched-mgmnt-bureaucracy or lately some accommodation for
assembly automation. (Also, the odd time, an engineer gets bad
advice from his wife or kids).

In the case of our LBC's it was a mix of leftover steam age habits
and the curious English phenonenum known as shelf engineering
where the car engineer goes to the accessory suppliers, looks at
what they've got on the shelf, picks up a sample and designs the
car around it and thereby avoiding tooling costs on low volume
production. (Can't blame the little buggers if some models didn't
stay low volume).

My guess is your fuel pump mounting studs back in the 30's were
originally smaller diameter and were then simply enlarged along
with the flange holes as the English so slowly moved away from
1/32 and 1/8 and 3/16 bolt/nut hardware or conversion from
Whitworth.

If you want completely accessible engine bays, buy a Model T.

Mike L (P.Eng, PT)
60A,67E,59Bug