ignition system upgrades v2

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: ignition system upgrades v2
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:19:41 -0400
>> I'm considering an upgrade to my ignition system (74 1/2 Midget) which
>> is totally stock, not a single piece of which has been touched in 20
>> years (and 10,000 miles).  My plan is to start with a Lucas Sport Coil
>> and the Pertronix Electronic Ignition setup.
>>
>> My question is whether any of you think that any other bits aught to be
>> upgraded and/or replaced just because of age or because of some other
>> bottleneck that I'm not thinking about.  If you feel strongly about a
>>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Well, 10,000 miles is not very much for 20 years.  You ought to get out more,
> Mike!

Point well taken, I've only put 10,000 miles since I purchased it 20 years
ago (actually 18 years ago when I was a senior in high school).  ;-)  I plan
to remedy that situation soon!

> The plug wires are probably brittle by now.  Since you are upgrading, rather
> than trying to stay with original, I would put in a set of Bosch Platinum
> Plus Four plugs (order from Peter C.) and Magnecor wires (order on-line at
> www.magnecor.com).  Check the dist. cap and rotor for cracks and wear, but
> they should still be OK.

How do I get hold of Peter C., is he on the list?

Regarding the magnecor wires, is there any noticeable difference between the
7 and 8 mm wires, and is the 25D distributor installed on the late 1275
motors the push in type or the screw in type?  I recall seeing some screws
on the underside of the contacts on the cap, though the magnecor folks say
that the 1974 was the push on type.  Perhaps the PO put the incorrect cap on
since there is a lot of silicone to make it seal right, I'll look more
carefully tonight.

BTW, I'm never really sure whether my "1974 1/2" should be called a 1974 or
a 1975.  Can anybody tell me what the 1/2 means?  The tag on the inside of
the driver door says manufactured 6 1974--does this mean anything?

Thanks again,
You folks are great.
Mike Gagne
Chapel Hill, NC