Help - New Restoration

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help - New Restoration
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 09:36:35 -0500
I am finishing a total restoration of a driver Bugeye. I rebuilt the 948
engine (stock) myself. This is my first rebuild of an engine, and I thought
I was pretty careful. However, upon start-up, I find that the engine is
smoking heavily. The smoke is fairly white. The plugs are moderately fouled
with oil.

I have received some advice that I should suspect the head gasket. But
before I tear the head off, I would just like to ask those of you with
experience if this could be a running-in problem. I have run the engine
about four times for about 15 minutes each time. The smoke gets heavier with
time. How long should I run it before I confirm I have a problem?

Thanks

Bud Pazur