cheatin' dog ?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: cheatin' dog ?
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:01:32 -0500
Hey Y'all,

Here's a  1275 Cheatin' Dog question for youse guys...

I put together the engine that came with Redrum (barely) in time for my
race last month at Grattan. The cam I wanted to use was damaged in transit,
and besides, the machine work that was done really sucked. So, I'm just
trying to keep this thing in the car until the end of the season With the
next race coming up at Road America, steps must be taken to insure that I
don't fall asleep on the straightaways.

Some of you that attended Meatfest 2001 can tesitfy that it pulls like a
stock motor in present form (since they all got to drive it around my
neighborhood)

So, here's the question(s). Anyone successfully replaced a cam with the
engine in the car... maybe (one suggestion I've heard) by putting side
tension on he pushrods with strong rubber bands, and that, along with the
viscosity of the oil might keep the lifters from dropping in the pan when
the cam is pulled?

Next issue, do ya think the star drive for the pump will stay on the pump,
on the cam, or (most likely) drop in the pan, thus negating the success of
holding the lifters captive, and requiring me to pull the damn engine anyway...

(If this were a 948 it would be simple, since the block would have tappet
covers)

Perspiring minds want to know.

Flounder