Re: No Subject - long - some LBC/list issues

To: patrick.elliott@attws.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No Subject - long - some LBC/list issues
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:45:18 EDT
Hi Patrick,

These are difficult times and some people will have been more deeply effected
by the tragedy than others.  Also some might prefer to put their grief aside
for a private time and try and gain a semblance of normality over the other
part of their life.  I don't think anyone is saying that this tragedy is not
a tragedy or that Spridgets are more important.  I think that what is being
said is that there is a place to discuss the tragedy and that the list might
not be the best place for this.  One way to deal with grief or a bereavement
is to throw ones energy into some work or activity and then return to the
grief or bereavement at another time.  A long time ago when I suffered a
terrible blow in my life a day came when I was cheerful (it was a long time
coming) and at first I felt guilty for being happy and wondered whether or
not I ought to be.  At that time I asked myself having suffered a loss maybe
it was ok now to move on.  I'm not saying the list should move on or even
move elsewhere what I do say is similar to what somebody said a while back
that if we give up everything that is important to us and Spridgets in a
sense do have some importance in our lives if for no other reason than the
time and money put into them, then the terrorists will have taken more from
all of us than thousands of friends, Mums, Dads, sons and daughters - they
will have robbed us of part of our lives.  If the dead could talk and I don't
believe they do, they might ask us to avenge them, they might ask us to do
what is necessary to make the world a safer place, they might ask us to make
necessary sacrifices but I very much doubt they would ask us to keep silent
about things that rightly or wrongly matter in our lives.

In Britain today there was a 3 minutes silence.  I was on a course today
rather than in the office and requested that the silence be observed.  The
course tutor hadn't heard about this and thought that 1 minute might be
enough.  Rather than argue I decided I would have 3 minutes silence even if
no-one else did.  As it turned out the hotel where the course was held went
round to tell everyone a bell would be rang at the start and finish of the
silence (I made the request of the hotel when I arrived who initially claimed
no way of marking the silence, as it turned out they used the fire bell), so
3 minutes was observed.

For myself I am not really ready to talk much about Spridgets but ok to read
about them.  However, it is easy for me to do this because I don't have a
problem with my car at present I need to discuss.  I do still need to talk
about the tragedy and most likely will ring my brother to talk about it.

Ok some people have left the list for a while.  Well that happened before the
tragedy and will happen again.  Sometimes I leave the list because
something/someone annoys me or I just get too busy.  I still like the list
and expect I always will.

I do believe the world is a different place now and who can say if there will
be  world in a years time.  For now each person has to consider how to
respond and for some this will be talking about Spridgets.  Lets not start to
argue amongst ourselves but remain calm and when the time goes for other
talk, petitioning even, or action lets do that.

Daniel1312

In a message dated 14/09/01 12:57:02 Pacific Daylight Time,