Transmission evaluation

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission evaluation
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 13:18:35 -0400
Does anyone have any tips on evaluating the condition of a ribcase
transmission? Sometime soon I need to replace my clutch, and my current
tranny seems to be leaking quite a bit. Just discovered a couple of days ago
that it was almost completely dry after only 500 miles or so. Must only be
losing oil while driving though since I haven't seen any oil slicks other
than right under the very front of the engine which I know to be a leaking
valve cover seal. Also I've heard some noises at times that don't seem quite
right, though replacing the oil helped that. I'm worried about other possible
damage though. Anyway, since I don't have any good place to work on this I'll
probably have to rely on a friend allowing me to use their garage and need to
have a quick turnaround. I have another tranny available that I know was
working (20 years ago - car parked due to clutch failure) so at the least I
thought I'd put new seals/gaskets in it. I've seen the rebuild kits with
layshaft and cones, but don't know if a rebuild is really in order. I don't
like the idea of taking apart that stack of gears, though I will if I have to.

Anything I should look for to help me decide on what I should do to the
replacement before putting it in? I've opened the inspection cover for a look
and didn't see any broken gears or such. What else can I do?

Thanks!

Eddie
1971 Midget