RE: 1976 Midget - 1500 engine

To: "Beverly Cleary" <bcleary@awod.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f8HNk5P15634
Subject: RE: 1976 Midget - 1500 engine
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 19:50:57 -0400
I am in the process of rebuilding a 1500 Midget engine right now.  All
my parts will total about $400:

pistons
freeze plugs (for the block)
thrust washer
head gasket set
conversion gasket set
timing chain kit
rear oil seal
small end bushing set
clutch
thermostat

You should add an $80 oil pump to that, but I already had a new one.
Also, a new water pump, which I already have, would be about $70.

My machine shop bill will be $350 to do everything on their list to the
motor, including boring/honing the cylinders, checking for cracks in the
block, surfacing the flywheel, polishing the crank, shaving the block,
checking the rods, etc etc.

My head is cracked (of course!), so that will cost about $275 to fix
with a valve job.

$400
$350
$275
$ 70
$ 80
----
$1175 in parts and machine shop

I am going to do all the grunt work myself, but should somebody else
have to do the work, being pessimistic, it could cost an additional
$1000 in labor.  You may be able to get the machine shop to assemble the
motor for less than your mechanic, or at least the bottom end.  I had a
guy quote me $500 just to do a straight motor swap the other day (while
trying to talk me into dropping a Sp*tfire engine into my gold car).

To me, even in the worst case, $3.382.27 seems a bit high, especially
without even including labor or machine shop work.  Like Mr. Houston
suggested, somebody on the list will be able to get you a great deal on
parts.  I can't think of anything you could possibly do to the engine
that I haven't listed though...even if you need new rods, they are only
$39.95 each.

Good luck!
Adrian
http://www.midgetweb.com