Re: Oil Pressure Problem Solved?

To: Mike MacLean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Problem Solved?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 02:53:31 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike MacLean wrote:

> As a last ditch effort to solve my low oil pressure problem...

  Your results sound interesting, however I think it's
important to mention that the oil protection level in
your engine cannot solely be measured by oil pressure.

  From your description, it sounds like you have created
the equivalent of a very thick oil, which, although it
does raise oil pressure, might cause problems with fine
surface lubrication because of it's thickness.

  Although not a direct comparison, running oil that
is too thick in some applications can cause failures
in needle bearings, near the center of large surface
contact areas, and so on, because the oil doesn't
flow as well as it should.

  Overall, you sound like you are better off, but it
is important to realize that just because the oil pressure
gauge looks right it doesn't mean you are fully protected.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca