now "government work"

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: now "government work"
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:19:50 -0400
It depends on how you use the term... If you say "It's close enough for
government work" you mean that the tolerances are not exactly as spec'ed but
it'll work. If you say "I have some government work to do" then you mean a
project for yourself - not your employer, on your employer's time and with
their materials!

Another good old expression (apologies Frank!) is "carpenter's dimensions"
which means within an inch or two! A friend of mine owns a machine shop
where we have done many a government job for our spridgets. He deals with
dimensions that are stricter than 1/2 of 1 1000th of an inch. So, if he says
carpenter's dimensions he usually means it's off by more than the width of a
human hair!

Kent