Re: brake fluid as paint remover

To: rickfisk@concentric.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake fluid as paint remover
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:29:51 EDT
In a message dated 9/23/01 9:06:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rickfisk@concentric.net writes:

> Back in my model car days (late 50's) I used brake fluid to remove paint
> from plastic models.  It would take enamel paint off without damaging the
> plastic.

Most likely.  The biggest problem is removing the brake fluid after it
removes the paint.  If you expect to repaint the part, you might do better
using a paint remover.  Try aircraft paint remover, available at most auto
supply stores.  Paint removers are volatile, so they evaporate completely.
It is a bad thing for brake fluid to evaporate.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport