Re: Grade 5 vs 8 (very long, but worth a read)

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Grade 5 vs 8 (very long, but worth a read)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:27:52 EDT
This is what I said   BRITTLE AND SHEAR being the important issues, except I
never said use AN bolts (though I do sometimes but they are expensive)

Daniel1312

In a message dated 25/09/01 10:58:57 Pacific Daylight Time, Ajhsys@aol.com
writes:

<< - -

  Also see Carroll Smiths books.

 Grade 8 bolts have higher tensile strength, but tend to be more brittle than
 Grade 5 bolts.

 If you really want stronger bolts, use aircraft bolts (AN series) as they
 are stronger, and more ductile.
 wisdom to

 As simply as I can put it. Grade 8 bolts, while extremely strong, and
 not very ductile. They do not tolerate bending and shear loading very
 well.