Scamarama/no LBC x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Scamarama/no LBC x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 08:39:32 -0400
I received this from a friend and I thought you folks
might be interested.
Roy Rogers

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying
himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a test on
telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch
nine(9),zero(0),
the pound sign (#), and then hang up.

Luckily, I was suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the telephone
company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting
individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to
place long distance calls billed to your home phone number. I was
further informed that this scam has been originating from many local
jails/prisons.

I have also verified this information with UCB Telecom, Pacific Bell,
MCI, Bell Atlantic and GTE. Please beware. DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.
The GTESecurity Department requested that I share this information with
EVERYONE I KNOW.

PLEASE pass this on to everyone YOU know. If you have mailing lists
and/or
newsletters from organizations you are connected with, I encourage you
to pass on his information to them, too.

After checking with Verizon they said it was true, so do not
dial(9),zero(0), the pound sign # and hang up, for anyone.