Advice on pulling motor

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Advice on pulling motor
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 11:25:55 -0400
I ve never done anything like this before, but a friend of mine with more
experience than I has volunteered to help with this project.  I d like to
pull the motor to help me clean and ultimately paint the innards of the
filthy engine bay.  Before going off half (at best) cocked, I wanted to ask
the advice of you experts out there, especially looking for any little
tricks to help out the helpless.  As I9ve said before, I9m trying to make up
for too much schooling and not enough education, so don9t laugh too hard at
me <gr>.

The bonnet, the heater box, the driver side fender, and the battery are
currently off of the vehicle.  I9ll need to rent an engine hoist and
continue to read through my service manual.  Lots of questions come up (and
many that have yet to come up).  In addition to the general purpose
cleaning, I9m in the process of replacing the brake and clutch lines.  The
clutch and engine mounts are new.  What else should I think about while it
is out?

Should I pull engine and tranny out together?  Once they are out, can it sit
on the floor on the oil pan or do I need to rig up a support for it?  This
is probably a good time to change the tranny fluid, no?

I9m absolutely posilutely sure that I9m getting in over my head, but how
else am I going to figure out how this dad-burn car works, and what you guys
are talking about most of the time  ?-)

TIA
Mike Gagne
74 Midge