Re: Rust Never Sleeps - is it magnetic?

To: "Mike MacLean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rust Never Sleeps - is it magnetic?
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:14:51 -0400
Mike,
    I'd lay odds the 'red rust' is not rust.
(put a magnet to it.)   The chemicals they put in
anti-freeze these days will burn and turn reddish brown
when all the 'green' has evaporated away.
(try a little bit on the stove. the residue will be brown)
As the engine cools, the particles/chemicals that precipitate
out with heat, 'glues' itself to the walls inside the cooling
passages. With time I've seen this 'sludge' layer
as thick as 1/8" ! (just under the thermostat)
I've also seen heads where the passages were almost completely
blocked.

Any good radiator/cooling system flush should get rid of
a good bit of what sticks to the innards of the cooling system

I put a 'T'  (that comes in the flush kits) in my heater hose.
After the recommended flush procedures (with the kit)
I hook up the garden hose, (very low flow) and an adapter
I made that has a hose plumbed through a radiator cap.
I let it flush the system for awhile to remove any residues
left over from the flush and any scale left. The pressure
from the hose helps push stuff out that the water pump
can't move fast enough.

Watch you temps though...you don't want to push a lot of cold water
through a hot engine. So start the flow of clean water sloowwly.

Paul Tegler     ptegler@gouldfo.com    www.teglerizer.com