Re: "Voter Virus" is not a hoax

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Voter Virus" is not a hoax
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 02:47:14 EDT
In a message dated 10/9/01 10:28:18 PM, peggybear2000@yahoo.com writes:

<<  Thought I'd let you know that the e-mail warning is NOT a hoax.
As the article below states, the simplest way to avoid a virus is to
not open attachments that seem suspicious.  I make it a point not to
open anything that isn't an e-mail or picture.
> Hope this helps.
>

> The new bug, dubbed Win.32.vote or Voter Virus, isn't as
> technically sophisticated as the Nimda worm that struck last week.
> But security experts note that the new bug is much more harmful -
> and tempts unsuspecting computer users to inadvertently spread the
> virus by referring to the recent terrorists attacks on the World
> Trade Center in New York.
> The bug arrives in an e-mail titled, "Peace Between America and
> Islam" and the body of the message says, "Hi. Is it a war against
> America or Islam!? Let's vote to live in peace!" But when
> recipients start the attached file called WTC.EXE, the program will
> send an e-mail with a copy of the bug to everyone listed in their
> Microsoft Outlook e-mail program. It will then proceed to delete
> files from the computer's hard drive.
>
> It is still unknown if this latest virus has any direct connections
> to the terrorists directly responsible for the Sept. 11 attacks.
> But most experts believe that the relatively simple nature of the
> Voter Virus bug points to an individual hoping to capitalize on the
> news and attention surrounding the recent events.
>
> "We've seen several viruses come out since the Sept. 11 attack that
> sought to take advantage of the news," says Jeff Schmidt, chief
> operating officer of Secure Interiors, a network security firm in
> Columbus, Ohio. "This is a very simple virus that essentially
> attempts to delete files if it is run and it's nothing that we
> haven't seen before," he says.
>
> Sharon Ruckman, senior director of security response at Symantec
> says that since the virus still relies on human intervention to
> spread, the new Voter Virus is similar in nature to other mass
> e-mail bugs such as the infamous "I Love You" and "Anna Kournikova"
> bugs. "Social engineering" rather than technical sophistication is
> what is helping this virus to spread, says Ruckman.
>
> Most experts believe that very few computers on the Net may have
> been affected by the new virus since its discovery early on Monday.
> And anti-virus software makers such as Symantec are already working
> on fixes that will spot and stop the bug from spreading further.
>
> In the meantime, Ruckman and other experts note that the simplest
> way to prevent this latest virus from spreading remains the same:
> Do not open any suspicious e-mails containing unexpected file
> attachments.

Thanks to Peggybear for the above article.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)