Fw: Original Bugeye Floor Pan detailed measurements - delete now if not

To: "Spridgets Group" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Original Bugeye Floor Pan detailed measurements - delete now if not interested in detail
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:17:06 -0300
This is slightly revised from my first posting as I picked up an error on
review.
Geoff

Spridgeteers

Thank-you once again to all that responded to my queries.  I want to share the
results of my research with the List for the benefit of anyone else seeking to
maintain originality when they replace their floorpans.  From unmolested
Bugeyes, the following measurements appear to be accurate for the footwell
area of the floor pans:

LH pan
~ 3/4" from LH edge (inner sill) to commencement of depression
~ 3 1/4" from RH edge of depression to LH side of frame rail as visible in
cockpit
Frame rail is ~ 2 1/2" wide so distance from RH edge of depression to RH edge
of pan is ~ 5 3/4".

RH pan
~ 2 3/4" from RH edge (inner sill) to commencement of depression
~ 1/2" from LH edge of depression to RH side of frame rail as visible in
cockpit
Frame rail is ~ 2 1/2" wide so distance from LH edge of depression to LH edge
of pan is ~ 3".

These measurements make sense when one remembers that there has to be a wide
flat area on the RH side of either pan (with captive nuts) on which to mount
the accelerator pedal.  Therefore, the pans cannot be mirror images of each
other (which at least some replacement pans appear to be).

The ~ 3/8" drain hole is located:

LH pan
~ 3 1/2" back from the sloped panel
~ 9 1/4" from the LH side of the frame rail as visible in cockpit

RH pan
~ 3 1/2" back from sloped panel
~ 6 3/4" from the RH side of the frame rail as visible in cockpit

The captive nuts on the RH pan are located:
One at ~ 2" back from the sloped panel and 1 5/8" from RH edge of pan (inner
sill)
Second at ~ 2 1/2" back from sloped panel and 2 3/8" from RH edge of pan
(inner sill)

The base of the accelerator pedal on the LH pan is located:
~ 2 3/4" back from the sloped panel to the front of the pedal base
~ 1 1/4" from RH edge of base to LH side of the frame rail as visible from
cockpit
~ 1 3/4" from LH edge of base to LH side of the frame rail as visible from
cockpit

The 2-piece replacement pans that I purchased are "Steelcraft" (according to
my supplier) and are supposed to be of excellent quality.  However, neither
the left nor the right side accurately reflect the original measurements in
the footwell area and neither have captive nuts or drain holes.  The RH side
measurements are close - but the LH side prevents mounting the accelerator
pedal as original.  The can be corrected with some cutting and modification
(read expense) but you might be better off trying to get a 1-piece pan made by
Wheeler & Davies (UK).  I do not have any experience with this firm or the
accuracy of its pans but I have been told that they are correct.

I hope that this may prove helpful to others.

Geoff Muttart
gmuttart@mtdc.ns.ca
Nova Scotia, Canada
AH 'Bugeye' Sprite