Re: Another nut(ty) question

To: eddie_sheffield@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Another nut(ty) question
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 21:28:47 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/22/01 4:47:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
eddie_sheffield@yahoo.com writes:

<< Anyway, I know you really aren't supposed to reuse nylocks, but what about
 these? They seem to be very snug still. If not (and I'm usually inclined to
 replace all hardware like this anyway) are nylock nuts a suitable
substitute?
 Or standard nuts plus lock washers? >>

Eddie

Well, not so, regarding reusing self-locking "Nyloc" nuts, according to the
Austin Service Journal, dated September 20, 1954.  Quote:

"QUALITIES OF ENDURANCE-Six Nyloc nuts were screwed completely on and off a
standard 1/4" B.S.F.bolt 30 times and the final average torque was 2,100
lb.in.  In addition a nut was repeatedly assembled on the bolt and after 400
removals, the torque figure was 1 lb.in.  This compares very favourably with
the Aircarft specification A.D. 114 requirements of .975 lb.in. torque after
only 30 removals."

The bottom line according to this bulletin is, quote:

"INSPECTION-If when reusing a Nyloc nut the nut becomes too stiff to turn
with the fingers, after being screwed on the bolt up to the nylon insert, and
a spanner becomes necessary for further screwing down, then the nut is
serviceable.  If the nut can be screwed past the nylon insert by finger
pressure alone, then it has become damaged and must be replaced."

Cheers

Curt Arndt
Carlsbad, Ca
'55 BN1, '60 AN5