Know your 1275?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Know your 1275?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:37:51 -0500
Got a question that I'm sure someone out there knows the answer to....

Looking from the front of the 1275 block....at the right rear (ahead of
where the oil pump is hidden)
is a bulge in the casting (actually two bulges) where the oil pick-up
drilling resides.  Vertically
into one of these bulges is a nicely machined shoulder with a hex plug.
Nearby, but horizontally,
is another, but bigger threaded plug. Why are these plugs there?

(I know one British possibility is that that's where the supply line to the
oil-fired heater used in
the Royal Navy lifeboats was plumbed.  And when the motor was adapted for
cars they just screwed
in a cute plug.  Or how about, all Spridgets have that tapped port so you
can buy an Accusump and
easily connect it when you go racing).

The real answer is.....?