[Fwd: Stumble & sputter (loss of power) [Yahoo! Clubs: AH Frogeye Buge

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Stumble & sputter (loss of power) [Yahoo! Clubs: AH Frogeye Bugeye Connection]]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:26:08 -0700
I am forwarding this to the list as  have little experience with the
later cars.  COuld this be the fuel pump?  E mail Mike direct.
Mike MacLean 60 Sprite
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:17:24 PDT
To: macleans@earthlink.net
From bugi_59 <clubs-mail at yahoo-inc.com>
Subject: Stumble & sputter (loss of power)  [Yahoo! Clubs: AH Frogeye
  Bugeye Connection]

Stumble & sputter (loss of power) on acceleration

I have a 59 Bugeye with the following engine.
Engine Yr. 1972 1275cc 12v carbs. HS2 Distr. 25D4 S#41369B Port Manifold
New fuel pump. New spark plugs and wires. NO emissions controls present.

Had the Car for about 5 weeksit was running fine for the first 4 weeksI have
done nothing to the engine tune-up wise. The idle seems to be high 1200-1500
rpm. If I lower the idle to 800-1000 it runs but will eventually cut off. I
added an Electric Fan for the radiator because I was seeing an overheating
problem, which could be cause by a lean mix on the Carbs.

I just starting have the following problem of stumble & sputter (loss of power)
on acceleration and hard to re-start (like flooding). Engine temp about
180-185F. I can pull the choke a little and it levels out until I accelerate
again. This happens at any speed from 15-45 mph. You can hear it sputter in the
exhaust. On the Carbs. - The float bowls are vented to atmosphere - The value
cover vent is split and connect to the Carbs between the piston and the
butterfly. There are (2) other vents below the butterfly, right before the
carburetor bolt up to the intake. These are also vented to the atmosphere.
Which of the vented should be closed off or connected where.

Let's talk Spark Plugs. The front (2) plugs are a light gray. The back (2)
plugs are light gray as well but appear to be just a little darker in color.
They are not black in color.

Re-startingIf I drive it around the block and stop, turn it off then try to
start it again. It will act like it is floodedor I am flooding it myself. I
can smell gas. Let it set for a minute or two and it will crank. At very low
speed like pulling into my garage I have to rev the engine for power.

Where should I look or start

Re-tuning the Carbs.
Floats and Float Values.
Ignition System.
Vacuum Advance System.

Thanks
Bugi_59
Mike Farmer

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE BY EMAIL!

Return to "AH Frogeye Bugeye Connection":
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/ahfrogeyebugeyeconnection