Re: Back to the Future/ "Cold air" and "Timing" - Judsonapplications!

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Back to the Future/ "Cold air" and "Timing" - Judsonapplications!
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:06:39 -0700
Cc: brian S <bugeye15@hotmail.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
"Robert E. Shlafer" wrote:

F'rinstance, on Mike's Judson blown

> 8.3-1 948 motor, the Sprite owner's
> manual lists 5 degrees BTDC as the
> "correct" static setting for 96RON gas.
>
> Yet, the official maintenance manual
> lists 1 degree BTDC as the correct setting
> for this motor and 4 degrees BTDC for
> the high compression (9.0-1?) unit (I
> am still trying to figure this one out as
> usually it would be the other way 'round;
> this might be a "backward" misprint and
> I would welcome an explanation on this
> from other lister's more knowedgeable
> than I in these respects for usually, the
> high compression motor would take "less"
> timing than a lower compression version
> of the same motor).

Bob and List,
     I have tried to explain this before.  The difference in timing you are
referring to is due to the fact that 2 different distributors were used.  On the
Sprite Mark 1 (misnomer) the distributor was a Lucas DM2P4.  On the Sprite Mark
II, III and Midgets with 948 and 1098 motors the distributor used was a Lucas
25D4.  There are 3 separate listings for static timing in the factory manual,
high compression, low compression and Sprite Mark 1.  They are 4 degrees BTDC, 1
degree BTDC and 5 degrees BTDC respectively.  Different timing for different
distributor advance curves.
Mike MacLean 60 Sprite