loose bearing part 4

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: loose bearing part 4
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 23:45:57 -0400
This is getting to be more of a challenge than what I'd like.

I have what appears to be a loose front bearing. I recently switched
out the front hubs and stub axles during a change from wire to steel
wheels. I installed new bearings. After only a few hundred miles, I
found that both front bearing sets were loose; the wheels rocked back
and forth when I pushed and pulled from the 6 and 12 o'clock
positions. This went away when the brakes were applied.

OK, so these bearings were bought at SICP's going out of business
sale, so maybe there was a quality issue. I pulled the bearings from
the hubs on the previous wire wheel set-up installed them onto the
current steel wheel set-up. Nice and tight, problem solved, or so I
thought. 200 miles later, the driver's side bearing is loose,
passenger side is fine.

OK, so maybe the old used bearing was not what it should have been. I
bought a new one and installed it last night. Nice and tight. Drove
it 10 miles and it's loose. So, I swapped the driver's side
hub/bearing combination to the passenger side. It's loose on the
passenger side, too, whereas the one that had been on the passenger
side is nice and tight on the driver side (this is as-installed, not
road tested).

I did not road test the switch because the data so far may suggest
that something about the driver's side stub axle is trashing these
bearings. But then again, who knows.

So, I'm stumped. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright                __o\___             '65 Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu