Re: think quick..4"

To: KansaR@diebold.com
Subject: Re: think quick..4"
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:15:05 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:01:19 -0500 "Kansa, Robert" <KansaR@diebold.com>
writes:
> the K&N's Minator's are lower maintenance, they are a better casting
> and the machinework is better.

I didn't know that.  I guess they are a bargain, then, at about $100
apiece.

> I think these minilites might even be magnese.
> this set has drillings for the spitfire funky shank lug nuts, and
> they are a pain to put off/on for a race car.

I dunno what a funky shank lug nut is.  Wasn't that a song by Parliament
Funkadelic?  My guess is that you mean those lug nuts that screw down
inside the hole in the wheel, rather than on top of them.  Do the
drillings make the wheels unusable on a Spridget now?  Or weaken the
wheel?

> i like the normal/conventional cone lugnuts via sprite midget etc.
> and i would prefer going to the beefier studs.

I've got the beefier 7/16" studs on the Midget.  A little tip that an old
racer told me was to use the chrome lugnuts available at any auto parts
store (for Chevy or some such) with the Minators.  He said that the slope
on those nuts was a good fit to the KN's.  If you want a real long stud,
you can cut the tops off the chrome lug nuts, if necessary.  Also, the
KN's fit the 7/16" studs without any drilling, which is great.

> the beefier studs dont strip/crossthread with time. when you take
> the wheels off/on as often as we do, its important. if anyone might
> eventually be intrested in them, i'll keep you in mind just give a
> shout.
> otherwise, they are e-bay bound come spring.

Do keep me in mind.  I have several buddies that are building Spridget
racecars that might be interested.  If they are magnesium, though, there
might be a problem.  I understand that magnesium will become brittle over
time (or something) and would need to be treated(?).

Best,

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD