Re: PPG Coatings Feedback

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PPG Coatings Feedback
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:30:04 -0600
Regarding bad results with PPG Concept:  Could be a half-dozen culprits
responsible for your bad paint job.
Concept DCC is probably the single most sold automotive paint in the U.S.
At the place where I learned to paint, it was
considered an excellent choice for a hobbyist because it is quite forgiving
and has more of a tendency to flow out
than other coatings.  I doubt your disappointing outcome can be generalized
beyond the conditions prevailing on the day you painted, or perhaps an
idiosyncracy in the batch of DCC you got.  More than likely, the catalyst
was too old, or it was not right for the temperature and humidity
conditions, or you added too much or too little reducer.  For what an "N of
1" sample is worth, I'm pretty inexperienced and the paint job I did on my
'67 VW last year using Concept looked 95% great right out of the gun, and
I'd say 99% after color sanding and buffing.
Just my $.02.  Obviously, your mileage did vary.
--JohnD