Re: Flounderpalooza: Now soda blasting

To: david@vermonthardwoods.com
Subject: Re: Flounderpalooza: Now soda blasting
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:12:05 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:28:23 -0500 "David N Waldmann"
<david@vermonthardwoods.com> writes:
> see that they use baking soda and recycled plastic material to
> "sandblast"
> paint off. I guess that both not only don't create the heat that
> sand does,
> but they also don't remove any metal

I used soda blasting to strip the paint off my Midget.  Works very well,
although it has difficult removing "soft" stuff like undercoating.  It
also would not clean up severe rust pitting, which requires touching up
with sand.  Usually if the pitting is that severe a sheet metal panel
isn't worth saving, but heavier iron might be.

The soda is blasted at the item then it is pressure washed to clean it
out.  The soda tends to leave a little bit of rust preventative coating
that reduces flash rust.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD