2 Re: Tuning the Weber

To: mikeg@vicnet.net.au
Subject: 2 Re: Tuning the Weber
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 17:26:50 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I agree that the use of FR rams does indeed act by 'eliminating the indirect
restricting effect of air flow around a sharp corner. The sharp corner acts
like a choke and the rams are essentially removing that choke.'

I also agree that 'The real issue here is that you want the largest chokes
that still maintain good gas flow velocity and venturi effect, or put another
way, the smallest choke that doesn't kill your top end.'

SO, it seems to me that even agreeing with what you say Mike, the FR rams are
likely to be a big part of the solution BECAUSE they negate a choking effect
and by doing so maintain good gas flow velocity and venturi effect, to use
your own words.  This is particularly and I suppose obviously the case at low
engine rpm where the gas speed is low, at high rpm it makes less difference.

I would also say that typically the full radius ram will allow a larger main
venturi to be used in a DCOE, all things being equal.  Theory aside they work
well with a correctly calibrated carb in my experience.

I see your point about less power with 32mm chokes as oppose 34s but was
coming from the point that I considered a 266 cammed A-Series with the spec
detailed to be such that 32mm chokes would flow less air than the car would
need at 6,000 & + rpm and would thereby limit power.

Are you using full radius type rams on your car's engine Mike?
(www.twminduction.com)

Nik