Restoration shops

To: "Bill Mantz" <bmantz@roanoke.infi.net>
Subject: Restoration shops
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:47:44 -0500 FILETIME=[A0EFD080:01C1768A]
Cc: "spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hmmmm.........that sounds familiar!  I had the same experience with Van's
Healey Restoration Shop in South Carolina.  They apparently had done several
concours, award-winning, big Healeys, and told me they could do all the
bodywork and paint on my Sprite to the same standards for about $5,000.
When they were finished, over a year later, I had paid them well over twice
that much, and when I picked up the body, there was bondo over 1/4 inch
thick in several areas.  Needless to say, I was very disappointed.
(Fortunately, I found a retired autobody man here in Georgia who is very
reasonable and very good, and I now use only him for bodywork!)

Bob

>I delivered the shell stripped of paint. One year and three months later I
>retrieved it - with a hole in the boot and (-$6000) because it was still no
>where close to shooting paint. At this point, to make the shell reasonable,
>I will probably have to replace the entire boot.  A new trunk floor was
>purchased, but the existing one was cut in half to save from welding the
>whole trunk floor in. The lower part of the boot was "repaired" by welding
>in several pieces of scrap (it still missing about a 2 inch square
>piece.Plenty more to be said, but that is probably enough. I've done some
>welding in the past, so I might as well give it a try - nothing to lose
now.