Re: 2001 LA BRITMEET CANCELED!

To: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>, Larry Macy <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2001 LA BRITMEET CANCELED!
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:15:01 -0800
Mike, et al,

Before this becomes a rumor, I think there is more to it than that. I know
that Palo Alto (Nor Cal- Sept) was cancelled due to CalTrans closing El
Camino Real to traffic to execute construction/repaving beginning September
1 and the event was scheduled Sept 8. El Camino is the only entance to the
park where the event was to be held. Since Palo Alto typically haas 600-700
cars, he was concerned with creating a huge traffic nightmare getting into
the park.

I don't know any facts about Woodley Park, but I doubt Rick would have
blown of the couple thousand he already spent for mailings and other
expenses for the sake of $300. Doesn't make any sense.

I think what is happening is that these type of events are becoming driven
by large deep pocket sponsors that make huge donations to some benefactor
for the "privilege" of using the facilities. This gives them a huge
advantage and is bumping out "enthusiast" promoters like Rick.

I recently talked to the promoter of the Golden Gate Park "Old Car Picnic",
and his arrangemnets do involve major charitable contribution as well as
political connections to make it happen.

Just a wild guess this is the trend... politics as usual.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
http://www.gerardsgarage.com/fourpoints