Looking for parts

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Looking for parts
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:04:51 -0000
Grr, I am so annoyed!
Went to the local Ford main dealer to get some bits for my 5speed and
the idiot at the parts counter hadn't got a clue, Worse than that, he
flatley refused to look up parts properly for me.  I took the alloy
extension with me, he looked at it and said "that isn't a ford one".
At this point I had a sence of foreboding of wehat was to come!
I had to point out the little ford logo in the alloy casting to get
him convinced that it was!

Then I said that it was an N-type "No such thing!"
"Ok, well look up Type 9".

He got his computer parts programme up and running and brings up a
view of a 4 speed extension.  Refused to look for any other "they are
all the same".
"cannot help you unless you can give me the chassis number or the
proper gearbox designation" (he knows it is a scrappie job)
So I left him and went into the workshops where I found Tom.
Explained what I was up to ( midget / 5 speed etc etc) Tom was
helpfull and geniunely interested. Confirmed that the info I had
provided was more than enough to identify the parts from. Then he said
" I'm not surprised with that storeman - he is totally clueless -
causes us all sorts of problems, a real b****d!, you would do better
to go to another dealer" That from someone in the same workplace!!

Back to the parts counter.  Same story. Brings up a screen showing
1986 Transit 4 Speed in big red letters across the top.
"This is the gearbox fitted to the 1989 5 speed 2.0l Sierra"
"Why does it say 4 speed"
"Oh, that's a misprint"

Time to give up! Problem is that the next nearest dealership is 30
miles away!!

Guy
Sorry if the vehicle types doesn't make sense overseas, but I guess
you can get the gist of it!