Re: painting advice wanted- correction

To: "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@unc.edu>, Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, fergie9 <fergie9@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: painting advice wanted- correction
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:54:23 -0800
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
>OK, let me make sure I have this all straight.
>
>After Im down to metal I can treat with phosphoric acid solution to remove
>the rust, which after drying leaves behind a protective coating that for
>short periods of time will protect the metal from surface oxidation.

Yes.

>Once Im ready to proceed with painting I scuff off the gray layer to reveal
>metal again.

Yes.

>At this point I could choose to spray with a zinc chromate
>protector (which by itself could provide good medium-term rust protection)
>and then paint with several layers of a sandable primer (sand sand sand)

If you use a zinc chromate, use one recommended by the paint manufacturer
you plan to use for primer, sealer, color coat. You are best off using ONE
brand system.

 or
>go directly to an etching primer on bare metal and then layers of sandable
>primer (sand sand sand).  Follow each of the two routes up with a sealing
>primer and then move on to the various types of colored coats (a totally
>different thread).

The metal etch primer I have used (on the '68) is a mixture of zinc
chromate, phosporic acid and a catalyst. It needs be be coated after a
short period of time (I think 24 hours or less). Not to be sanded before
painting.

Many primers can be either sealers or primers depending on how you mix
them. Some are one or the other. Sealers should not usually be sanded
either. All paint systems and brands have different guidelines. Check with
the paint expert where you'll get the paint to find out the correct
products and steps. If you can't connect with a helpful paint guy (I was
lucky) PPG has a good web site and a fax back help line for data sheets in
info. All paint products should have a data sheet you should read that will
give you all the info you need for mixing and spraying. Your paint guy
should be able to recommend a system based on your location and what your
painting over.

Above all, use the correct safety equipment, especially the mask, if you do
it yourself. Be aware of painting in a closed space with an open flame like
a water heater.

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
http://www.gerardsgarage.com/fourpoints