RE: Where's Reverse?

To: "'James Gruber'" <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Where's Reverse?
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:53:47 -0800
Hi Jim,

Congrats on getting the beast running!  As for some of the things you
mentioned:

Where's Reverse?
You must be used to driving BMWs...<grin>  On the Spridgets, reverse is
far to the right and down.  It makes a lower case h off of the Upper
case H 1-4 make.

Loud first gear
Welcome to one of the trademark Spridget sounds!!!<grin>  In these
little beasts, first gear is non-synchroed, hence the pitiful wail it
makes.   Most everyone doesn't diligently double-clutch when going back
into first gear, which makes this gear usually jump out of place after a
few thousand miles.

PCV
Yep, you discovered that that little bugger is needed.  Otherwise,
internal pressures buildup and squeeze oil out every conceivable spot.

Other misc. stuff
I believe the shifter plate does indeed only fit in one way.
Have fun with the SUs!  Getting them in synch is a skill that is hard to
develop, but once you get it down, it becomes second hand, much like
riding a bike.  I never got the hang of it, hence I have a Weber
downdraft...<grin>
Brakes are a strange one.  Every Spridget I've been in has a different
brake pedal feel.  As long as the brakes work before the pedal hits the
floor, I'm happy!

Have fun with it, and there are numerous folks on the list here to help!
Just bear with our meandering conversations, and you'll find nuggets of
help/truth in our cacophony!

Greg Gowins
'69 Sprite
Dublin, CA