Progress On 78 Midget

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Progress On 78 Midget
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 17:10:04 -0800
Hi.
 I have been working on my 78 Midget off and on all winter.  Thought I'd
post
 a little update for you all.  This was a car I bought off ebay as a resale
 project.  Everything is taking more attention than I had originally hoped,
 but is coming along nicely.  I did my own bodywork on the cowl on the
 drivers side, and it came out pretty good.  Could have used some metal
work,
 and that's more than I've got tools, etc to do, but I'm still satisfied
with
 the end result.  Had Miracle Auto body paint the bare shell, again, could
be
 better, but a significant improvement without going to the extreme of
 striping to bare metal.  Replaced the tail lights, backup lights, and
 headlight rings with repro's (sorry Frank, remember, this isn't a
"keeper").
 Stripped the old bumper stickers off of the back bumper and refinished it
 with special bumper paint that is a perfect color and texture match to the
 original unfinished bumper.  I found a nice front bumper on ebay that I'm
 waiting on shipping to receive.  Bought a new convertible top off ebay.  It
 turned out to be a Crown Top, and seems very well made.  It came with all
 the snaps and fasteners already installed.  I let the top sit infront of my
 fireplace to warm up, then installed it on the car.  It is still a very,
 very tight fit.  But when it warms up over 100 degrees here this summer it
 should stretch out just fine.  I recapped the dash board, and cleaned and
 tested all the gages.  I put in a Smiths electric temp gage instead of the
 combo safety gage, and a yellow oil pressure light, like came on the
1979's.
 Put in a new carpet kit, also purchased off of ebay.  It fits very well
too.
 I've also swapped out the faded Autumn Leaf Interior for a used black set
 that I've been storing for about 10 years.  The black goes so much better
 with the Yellow exterior.  For a stereo, I acquired a Jensen CD615X which
is
 a Din and a half size.  It was shallow enough to fit flush with the console
 without an adapter and will allow clearance when shifting, but the oversize
 height of the face required that I cut the bottom out of the console.  So
 now I embark on assembling the engine ancillaries and installing the
 powertrain.  I've posted more pictures at webshots via the link below.

 http://community.webshots.com/album/21656769bJIqItSBbm

 David Riker
 74 Midget
 63 Falcon