Re: rear lowering blocks--SWA

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, JPASCHKE@bak.rr.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear lowering blocks--SWA
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 08:53:00 EST
The lower you go the more the higher the wheels and tyres sit up inside the
wheel wells.  A lot will depend not only on the width of the tyre but the
wheel itself even if you are squeezing wider tyres on a standard rim.

Wide tyres in themselves don't necessarily do a lot to improve cornering
speeds because the body roll you get with standard or  tired standard
suspension reduces the amount of tyre in contact with the road and thus
negates most of the benefit of the extra rubber.  On the other hand improving
the suspension, not least by reducing roll (and this is where the lowering
blocks come into things) means you make more use of the existing (narrow)
rubber and cornering speeds should increase.

However, each car is unique and unless you wanted to undertake back to back
tests it would be impossible to say which modification would give the most
benefit.  My own view is that the most satisfaction would come from
suspension improvements (including lowering even by the use of spacers)
rather than wider tyres in isolation.  This would especially be the case for
a 79 IMHO.

Nick