'67 VW bus?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: '67 VW bus?
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:57:59 -0600
Allen-
I already responded to Bob with my vote for the "VW van of the current age"
(aka mini-van), but had to respond to your suggestion:
I still have my '67 VW microbus.  Still has a Grateful Dead decal in the
back window and a tie-dye sheet for a headliner.  It handles like a brick
balanced on a stick.  On long up-hills, you can step outside and clean the
windshield.  Whenever I tried to pull a trailer with my Midget on it, I'd
have the same clutch problems you mentioned.  That's why I switched to a 3.3
litre Caravan.  But in the VW there's a littlre ashtray on the back of the
front seat and it's just the right size for a pack of Ramses-- which came in
real handy back in 1970.

Make love, not war!
Power to the people
blah blah blah....

--JohnD

On the other side of the coin, I had a '67 VW bus and it was great.  I put
on
dual Weber carbs and that thing (no, it wasn't a Thing, it was a bus) took
me
everywhere.  Handled good in snow, too.  No, it isn't very fast, but jeez,
it's like driving a brick wall into a headwind.  Bring a rock to put on the
gas pedal and you have cruise control.

I had a great stereo in it, and it was nice to be able to get up and take a
walk (stopped of course), without going outside.  I didn't have a problem
with handling, because it isn't that fast to start with.  I'm sure there are

upgrades for the suspension.

I wore out the clutch and noticed that the floor pans were rusting, so it
was
goodbye to the bus.

Just my 2 pence.

Allen Hefner