Compressor evaluation

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Compressor evaluation
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 09:16:40 -0500
Got a compressor this weekend.  The SO put the nix on the 60 gallon (my fault
really.  shouldn't have gone to get it with her). So I ended up with the 25
gallon (135 PSI) PorterCable oil lube compressor with 6HP.  Not as much CFM,
but OK for everything I want except the blast cabinet and the painting (which I
won't get around to for quite a # of years anyway).

Seems like a real nice unit.  Quiet, and easy to set up.  Runs on 110V as well.
 Also gets up to peak pressure pretty quick.

The two bad things of note are:  1) the cutoff pressure appears to be 140PSI,
not 135PSI (and I don't think it's adjustable),  and 2) the valve for shutting
pressure to the hose is somewhat flimsy.  Long term durability remains to be
seen.

I did, however, pick up a few air tools as well.  Upon setting them up, I
learned a valuable lesson.  The trip to the drawer for the scissors to open up
the tool packaging is much shorter than the trip to the hospital to sew up the
2" gash in your thumb from the box cutter that was conveniently right next to
you.  Oh, and apparently you should tell your wife immediately when you do
something like that (not clean and dress the wound, boot up the PC, log onto
the internet, find the nearest hospital, get the address, go to mapquest, find
the directions, print them out, then tell her.  Bad idea, in hindsight).

Hope everyone had a happy new year's eve. Me, I just can't wait for Spring.

Graz