RE: Weird Carb Problem

To: "'Clayton La Baw'" <clabaw@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: RE: Weird Carb Problem
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 13:42:11 -0600
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Clay,

Back when I was debating how to put my extra HS-4s onto my Midget, I talked
to David Vizard, the guy who wrote the performance book on these engines,
and he said there was little advantage to dual 1.5 inch SUs over a single on
a good manifold, since in both cases, each cylinder could only "see" 1.5
inch of flow from a carb.  He said this is why a single 1.5 makes more power
than dual 1.25s, because in dual 1.25s, each cylinder only "sees" 1.25
inches of flow.  Sort of made sense, and the single 1.5 inch carb makes all
sorts of power, particularly when modified with the airflow "enhancements"
specified in the book.  Since I had to file a needle to suit with mucho
testing, I was very thankful I only had to do one, as I can't imagine trying
to get two of them to match each other and work properly.  Unfortunately it
was several years after I talked to him before I actually did the
conversion, and I lost track of him, so I couldn't ask him to help with my
problem.  I think you all are helping me out in a big way though, and I hope
to have some answers tonight!

Bob