Re: Chassis Rail Pitch?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chassis Rail Pitch?
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:58:53 -0800
> I believe they are supposed to pitch up 2 degrees or something like that.
>
> In a message dated 07/01/02 14:11:42 Pacific Standard Time,
> jburruso@earthlink.net writes:
>

> > Does anyone know if the chassis rails on a bugeye or any spridget for
> > that matter are supposed to pitch upward a few degrees?

My 1959 Bugeye was raced fairly seriously from 1961 through 1973 and then
vintage raced from 1995 to the present.   It's had numerous minor shunts and
major stresses applied to the frame through the suspension over the years.
The seams around the engine bay have been brazed closed on several occasions
after cracks and/or separation occured.

Probably 35 years ago we noticed that engine removal and installation was
eased greatly by jacking the front end up and placing jack stands under the
side rails just forward of the firewall.  The resulting sag of the front
eased the clearance of the engine pan to the front cross box and steering
rack.

I've always presumed that the front chassis rails were an integral of the
active suspension along with the shocks and springs ;-)

Myles Winbigler
Mad Mollusk Racing