Re: Sprites at the Philly Auto Show!!

To: "brian S" <bugeye15@hotmail.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sprites at the Philly Auto Show!!
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 23:36:29 -0500
SUDAR stands for SUsan and DAvid Roethel.  david purchased the car new in
1961 and at the time was the dc region SCCA exec director (hence the choice
of #1).  the lettering across the rear of the hood was a bit of a joke but
not too much of ajoke as david's racing career later blossomed in the 70's
and 80's.  in order to understand the "joke" you need to know a little bit
about SCCA racing back in the bad old days and the politics.  many people
see a race car and assume they must have a million sponsor decals plastered
all over them.  that is how it is today but not back then.   amature racers
were not allowed to display any decals at all!  none!  if any decals were
displayed besides some creative silly ones made up by racing teams a racer
was declared a "professional" and the amature status was dropped!   that
meant a lot back then as to whom you raced against and in certain areas what
class you were placed in.  so my car when raced back then never had any
decals or any type of sponsorship displayed on it.  but the SUDAR across
therear of the bonnet was an attraction gadget wich eventually did land
david a "professional" status in all the challenge cup races wich came in
the 70's and 80's!   the car does carry a SCCA wire wheel badge on the
grille wich was placed there by david some time in the early 61 season.
that was lost and i replaced it with a modern one , but i'd love to locate
an original cloisine one to put on the car.   there are now two aditional
badges on the grille wich are the AACA's national first prise award and the
AACA's "certified vintage race car" badge carrying it's registration number
with that club.  that club's certification designates the car as the exact
car as represented and not a recreation or replica.

chuck.
whew!  i'm now feeling better!  24 hours ago i experienced a "i never ever
want to go through that again " experience!   food poisoning!   i'll spare
all the gory details but as of 7 tonight i finally ate something for the
first time in well over 30 hours!   i'm so glad to just be able to drink
water!  but i am incredibly sore from "praying to my kitchen sink".