Re: How to find source of battery drain?

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: How to find source of battery drain?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:31:00 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>  I put the charger on for a while, but before trying to crank the engine, I
>disconnected the negative terminal, and placed an electrical tester from the
>engine block to ground, and got nothing.  Is it possible that I am losing
>current at such a slow rate that it would discharge the battery in a week, but
>not enough to light the test lamp?

I don't think so.

> If that is true, how would a find the problem?

Guess #1-  You didn't charge a really dead battery enough to get it up to where
it should be.  Overnight at a low amerage should do the trick.

Guess #2-  The battery is junk and will not take or hold a charge and no matter
how long is is on the charger, is is not charging.  Most chain auto parts
stores will test them for you in hopes that you do, in fact, need a new
battery.  Be aware!

Guess #3-  This really should be guess #1 but you should take a close look at
the terminals at the battery, starter, solenoid, etc.  Most of the electrical
problems that I've encountered over the years involved bad grounds!!  Looking
at them doesn't count--you've got to take them apart, clean them, use
dielectric grease, and secure the terminals.  If the battery doesn't hold the
charge then, I'd guess a new battery is in your future.
--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO

Pop. 420