Re: degreeing a cam

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: degreeing a cam
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:39:50 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jeff Boatright wrote:
> Also, does this relate to the
> recent thread in which Frank C told us that precisely setting valve
> timing was the second best power improvement he's ever made?

Jeff  I have the timing belt now and am running the cam advanced 4*
Same cam I have had for a few years  but advancing it made a huge difference in
off the line accelleration.
The cam was originally set to the stock timing marks.
Whether it is the belt and no slop like the old chain/gear set up or the 4*
advance, I don't know.

I have watched a guy dial in a cam on a Mini, he said it was 1/2* off and not
enough to worry about.
I think most cams are very close when set to the stock marks. But do they work
better on a performance modified engine when advanced?

That is the question I think we need to answer.
So any racers out there know if an advanced cam helps out?
I know slightly advanced timing sure helps too.
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ