Re: 1500 SU carb conversion exhaust manifold

To: maine2me@yahoo.com, cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 SU carb conversion exhaust manifold
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:14:31 EST
In a message dated 1/19/02 9:37:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
maine2me@yahoo.com writes:

> Original pipe for the header pipe but
> necked it up to a 2.25.

I have a comment/question.  When I was installing my exhaust system with a
glasspack bullet muffler, we got into a discussion about pipe sizes.  I went
from the stock 1 1/2" up to 1 3/4", but in the discussions I remember
comments about the "scavenging" effect of the gasses going through the
tailpipe being affected if you went with too large a pipe.  I went to 1 3/4",
another lister, was it Larry?, went to 2", and Dan is at 2 1/4".  At what
size does the scavenging effect begin to taper off, and does it REALLY make a
lot of difference?  Or is this one of those topics that is neat to roll aound
your tongue and spit out with a technical reverb,  but doesn't really amount
to a hill of beans, REALLY.  I mean like, look at those slingshot drag
dragons spitting FIRE almost directly out of the engine.  Can't imagine they
would have any scavenging effect at all, yet they run at top performance.

I think I will go re-read that chapter in my Vizard.  Of course up there
where Dan is the exhaust freezes the instant it hits the atmosphere, so they
need bigger pipes to blow out the exhaust cubes.  <g>

---David C.