Re: Midget 1500 "transmission" noise

To: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Subject: Re: Midget 1500 "transmission" noise
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 02:29:42 -0500
Tyson Sherman wrote:
> The universals and driveshaft are rusty and I am assuming original (I haven't
>had
> the car long).

  It would take a LOT of rust on the surface of the driveshaft to cause
a bad vibration. However, a U joint might be corroded or destroyed
or seized, which would make a hell of a racket.

> There was a loud noise at 38mph when driving and before I disconnected the
> driveshaft.  I can't hear the noise with it disconnected.  Would you mind if I
> sent you a wav file of the sound (off the list of course)?
>
> Is it possible to examine a Spridget driveshaft in place?  I'm guessing the
> engine/gearbox must come out to remove it?

  You can examine the driveshaft in place, although not really well, the
main area that I would consider suspect would be the front U joint and
slider and it's hard to see.

  However, you can remove the driveshaft with the engine in place. (actually
you have to do this to get the engine out, it would be a chicken and egg
if the engine had to be out to do it!)

  You have to be able to rotate the driveshaft, so put it in neutral and
jack
up at least one rear wheel. There is a little "port" you can work the front
nuts and bolts through, and the rears are very exposed.

  It's a bit tricky to get the shaft out of the tunnel but more fiddly
than difficult. The driveshaft tunnel forces the shaft to come out almost
straight back, and the diff and bodywork gets in the way. No biggie.

  You would normally want to mark the prop shaft flanges on both ends
so that it goes in the same way, however that might be academic if your
driveshaft ends up needing work. Doesn't hurt though.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca