Re: Datsuns taking over the brits/ jokes

To: duntov1@attbi.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Datsuns taking over the brits/ jokes
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:41:44 EST
In a message dated 1/21/02 9:20:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
duntov1@attbi.com writes:

> makes 'em easier to remove later.

Speaking of removing gaskets, does anyone know of a solvent that softens
hard, stuck-down cork gaskets to make them easier to remove?  I am putting
new valve cover gaskets on two 2.9 L. Bronco/Ranger engines--hell on earth to
remove the covers under all those wires, tubes, and hoses.  The gaskets were
leaking  badly to the extent that smoke was pouring from under the hood where
the oil is pouring onto the exhaust manifold.  When I removed the valve
covers (with great effort and a crow bar) the gaskets had hardened to a hard
plastic-like substance that is stuck fast to the engine block and to the
valve covers.

Thanks for any replies.  I am not sure how I am going to get the valve covers
back on the engine without damaging the new gaskets, but it will have to be
done.   What an over-engineered mess under that hood.

--David C.