yellow bugeye progress

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: yellow bugeye progress
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:36:11 -0800
I really enjoyed driving my newly painted bugeye for the last few weeks, but
knew that I had to solve the rear-main seal oil leak so I've had the motor
out for the last two weeks.

The heavy rear seal flow was caused by the kind of excessive backpressure
you get when three of your four pistons are cracked around the crown.  It
seems I've got to become more familiar with the specifics of turbo engines.
With today's octane ratings, overly advanced timing coupled with a heavy
foot and the urge to blow the doors off ever rice-rocket that pulls up next
to me is becoming an expensive problem.  It would appear that destructive
detonation is not easy to hear or feel with this set-up.

Now with four un-cracked pistons, new bearings and all the usual stuff, I'm
ready to start the motor tonight.  During the surgery I discovered that the
"3/4 race Isky cam" described by the PO is actually the Isky MM-55.  Luckily
it is one of the cams in the Clymer manual and I was able to get full specs
and timing info for it.  I also dialed in a bit of cam advance suggested by
Don Racine of Mini Mania using an offset key.  I'm also returning the timing
to the relatively retarded setting I found when I got the car.  At the time
I thought it too conservative but now realize the PO knew what he was doing.

Progress report or parts request to follow, depending.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)