Re: Heater Fan Switch and other Lucas quality products.

To: TeachJP@aol.com
Subject: Re: Heater Fan Switch and other Lucas quality products.
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:46:03 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
John,

Frank C. agrees with you that the only way to remove
the switch is to pry it out and break it. I was able
to verify that the heater switch was the problem by
following the attached procedure closely. I highly
advise reders of this list to do the following in
order to test the Spridget heating system.

1) Stand on head while under the dash.

2) Remove eye protection i.e. glasses so you can get a
close look at everything under the dash from 6" away
as you can't get to an arms length position away from
the dash so you can see what is happening under there.
I'm told bifocals at my age will resolve this problem
but thats a mid life crisis thing and restoring a
Spridget is all I can handle right now.

3) Be sure heater vent is open and not blocked.

4) Ignition switch turned on.

5) Remove heater wires from switch and short together.

6) Listen to heater fan spin up very quickly.

7) Be totally unprepared for the cyclone of rust,
leaves, foam rubber, dust, dirt, and general YEECH
that has now been deposited on your face, in your
eyes, and all over the brand new black carpet you've
just installed.

8) Emerge from your yoga like position under dash and
properly conclude that the heater switch is bad.

--- TeachJP@aol.com wrote:
> As far as the heater switch not coming out, I had
> the same problem.  I first
> checked to make sure that it was the switch by
> testing everything from the
> heater fan on back, it was "hot" all the way to the
> switch, so I figured it
> was the switch.  I just busted the old switch out,
> it wasn't working anyway.
> The only real problem that I had with the new switch
> is that the old one had
> a black "frame" around it and the new one from Moss
> or who ever is chrome so
> it doesn't match the light switch or the 4-way
> blinker switch, but the blower
> works and I have heat and I am happy.
> John Poynton
> 79 Midget "Yellow Fever"
> Havertown Pa 19083

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH