Steering hub removal

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering hub removal
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:02:19 -0800
Bozo!  Bozeau!  Bo-Zo!  Foolishly, while trying to determine why my ('71
Midget) horn was not working, I removed the two screws that hold the contact
ring to the back side of the steering wheel hub.  Now, having determined THAT
was not the problem, I am faced with trying to position the contact ring for
reassembly.  I think that I have two options; one is to remove the steering
column from the car, and then the plastic steering wheel surround, and reach
in from the back; the second would be to remove the hub from the column.  The
second is more appealing to me; but by gosh, that hub is stuck on!  I've tried
using a gear puller, but haven't been able to get a very good grip on the hub
itself, and when I try to use the holes in the steering wheel it just tends to
bend the steering wheel.  The friendly local british car shop suggested a
two-person operation:  one person sits in the car, pulling back on the
steering wheel, the other smartly strikes the center of the steering column
with a big hammer.  Other than producing loud metallic ringing tones, it
proved to be a fruitless exercise, indeed.  Please note that I have removed
the center bolt holding the hub on the steering wheel, and have also consulted
the manual, which references special tool XXX-XXX steering hub puller,
available for sale or rent at your local MG dealer.  Any suggestions?  Other
than going honkless?  Your educated opinions and amusing stories are invited.
Coarse insults and bitter vituperation have been provided previously, but have
not helped at all.  Imagine that!  TIA!