RE: 1275 Venting

To: "Brashear, Jack, N" <jnbrashear@GarverInc.com>, "'Charles Christ'" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, "'David N Waldmann'" <david@vermonthardwoods.com>, "'Spridgets-Autox.team'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1275 Venting
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:57:54 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From Brashear, Jack, N
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 3:32 PM
To: 'Charles Christ'; David N Waldmann; Spridgets-Autox.team

Hi All, I just picked up on the 1275 venting thread.  For what it's worth to
anyone, here's what I did about seven years ago.  The engine must be removed
to do this.  I drilled through the blanked-off fuel pump boss and tapped it
3/4" NPT then screwed in a 3/4" threaded x female brass adapter and soldered
in a 3/4" plain end 90 degree elbow turned upward and a little toward the
front to clear the No. 1 exhaust header pipe.  After that, I clamped a 3/4
I.D. rubber hose to the elbow and ran it up to about valve cover height.  I
finished all this off with a $2.00 breather from Pep Boys inserted into the
upper end of the hose and clamped.  Just fabricate your own little sheet
metal bracket to the front exhaust manifold stud to hold everything steady.
Works like a champ, doesn't leak or run over, and breathes like elephant
lungs.  The usual oil puddle at the rear of the engine was reduced to a very
occasional dime-sized drip.  Some people have said this couldn't be done
successfully, but I'm here to tell you that it can.  BUT CAUTION, I have
heard of people trying this with diameters smaller than 3/4" with bad
results... might have something to do with the velocity of the oily vapors
and the actual wall surface inside the rubber hose???  Feel free to contact
me if you want to chat about this.
Jack Brashear
Little Rock, Arkansas