Re: Speedvision now NascarVision

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedvision now NascarVision
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 07:31:11 -0500
SV was bought by NASCAR group. Whole thing was moved to North
Carolina. The original intent was to make it a 24/7 NASCAR channel.
Then the buyers realized that they still had contracts with some of
the non-NASCAR series, so they have to honor them. Also, they found
that there was a substantial fan base for road racing, rallying, and
F1. However, rumor has it that they will drop most of this, as they
did with the boating and aviation shows, as soon as the contracts
expire.

To me, one of the worst losses is all of the interesting smaller
shows, like Legends of Motorsports, Victory Circle, and coverage of
Goodwood. Zero chance of seeing our cars zipping around in their
"natural" environment. Now they just show oval after oval from the
80s and 90s. No variety and each one duller than the next. I guess
there must be a market, but with ESPN, TNN, TNT, and NBC coverage,
you'd think that there would be complete saturation.

They've also ditched all of their commentators at the
formerly-excellent website. It's now simply a dump site for press
announcements. But, it does have the advantage of being truly
annoying to load.

Jeff