RE: Vapor Lock message of Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:11:09 -0600

To: RMueller@grumobile.uscg.mil (Mueller, Robert CDR)
Subject: RE: Vapor Lock message of Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:11:09 -0600
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:49:17 -0500 (EST)
Cc: froggi60@hotmail.com ('WFO Herb'), spridgets@autox.team.net
Bob-

Read your post with much interest and
admit to being mystified as I've never
experienced vapor lock even in 90F
temps of summer (with humidity to match)
even in my Vizard tuned 90hp "at the rear
wheels" '74 Midget. Then it dawned on me
........ I wasn't using an SU electric pump.

I always use a Facet solid state
fuel pump of 4 psi, and run a fuel pump regulator set to 1.5-2.0 psi.
Never
liked the "points" of the old SU pump set-
up (and don't like the price of their "modern" electronic units,
either!!).

As I believe the contents of your post on
this subject totally, it occurs to me the
stock SU pump might be the culprit in this
scenario? Hmmm.....I wonder. 'Cause I've
never had this problem with the Facet solid state pumps, even in heavy
traffic
in the foregoing ambient conditions. Yes,
the idle drops and the "tuned" engine might get a little erratic at idle
'till traffic
got going and cooler airlflow prevailed but, the engine never quit or
refused to
run.

By the way:
you know the header wrap will invalidate
your warranty on the header and result
in much reduced life of this part, though
I know this does work in keeping heat
"in" the exhaust pipe and "out" of the
engine compartment (BTDT). A "coated"
header will do the trick, albeit this will
add about $100-125 to the cost of the
part. But, it will do what the wrap does
and the header will last much longer than it's "unwrapped" or "uncoated"
cousins
so you are getting value received for value
given.

(Looks better too, but this is not important
to this discussion, really! :)

Cap'n. Bob
    '61 :{)