Re: carb reamer

To: BCAH@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: carb reamer
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:00:59 -0600
At 03:55 PM 3/5/2002, BCAH@aol.com wrote:
>Has anyone had any experience with the reamer Moss sells for enlarging the
>throttle spindle hole in SU carbs? I believe it opens up the hole .015 inch
>in order to fit the oversized spindle. This would work fine for small wear
>problems, but what about bigger problems? I
========
Bob,
         I have lots of experience with this. Using the reamer and OS
shafts is quick and easy except on some models where you have to ream out
the linkage bits as well. I've done them that way, and it works fine.. just
have to do some fiddling. I can't believe there'd be a case where the wear
would exceed the .010" OS the shaft is. The car would run soooo poorly the
carb would be scrapped before then. Bushings, IMHO, are the better way to
go since none of the linkage bits wont need oversizing and the procedure is
repeatable in the future. Now, what bushing?  I think delrin or nylon is
better over brass or bronze. But that's just my opinion.
         Peter C
=